Import / Export / Customs
We have extensive experience in all aspects of customs enforcement, including representing importers in administrative proceedings; seizure, forfeiture, and penalty proceedings; customs audits; and voluntary disclosure cases. We also regularly advise clients on intellectual property compliance, as well as compliance with federal regulations, and can work with customhouse brokers to ensure the accuracy of import/export documentation.
International Trade Disputes & Civil Litigation
Our attorneys work effectively with our clients, to identify issues and to develop strategies to achieve business objectives. We have successfully represented clients in bringing and defending lawsuits related to international business contracts, bills of lading, and shipping disputes. We also represent clients in civil litigation matters involving commercial transactions and other business disputes.
Antidumping & Countervailing Duty
We are experienced in defending antidumping and countervailing duty actions and other trade remedy matters, before the courts and trade agencies.
- Acting for a large importer in an Enforce and Protect Act investigation, and concurrent customs audit and Department of Commerce scope inquiry
- Advising companies on the health and safety regulation of goods imported to the U.S.
- Assisting multiple companies in the release of imports related to allegations of transporting counterfeit and grey market goods
- Counseling an importer of video game accessories regarding intellectual property concerns
- Negotiating the release of seized currency
- Preparing and submitting binding ruling requests for a broad range of products
- Proceedings related to the protection of registered copyrights and trademarks before U.S. Customs and Border Protection and relevant other agencies
- Protesting the decisions of U.S. Customs and Border Protection on the basis of classification, and liquidation/reliquidation
- Representing a freight forwarder against a shipping company, in an action to obtain demurrage fees
- Representing clients before U.S. Customs and Border Protection with respect to audits, penalty and liquidated damages cases, administrative rulings, and seizures of imports
- Representing clients before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the International Trade Commission and federal courts in import regulatory proceedings
- Representing companies in voluntary disclosures, and negotiations with agencies responsible for the enforcement of export controls and economic sanctions